Monday, May 25, 2020

Bears during a Pandemic

The State of Alaska made an unprecedented decision to cancel bear hunting and make it illegal do so. This was done in response to “safety concerns” from traveling across the state to hunt. You can imagine the outrage this caused among hunters, especially the resident hunters of Alaska. Yes, we have a huge influx of hunters each spring to hunt for trophy bears, and this was the true intent of the cancellation, however, the Board of Game took it a step further by urging the state to not only close bear hunting to nonresidents, but to close it to residents as well. This was obviously political in nature since the Board of Game is composed of pro-guide members and predictably acts in favor of guides (who non residents must hire). Due to guides losing out, they weren’t going to allow residents to get the whole share of the pie. This backfired. Residents were outraged. There was so much backlash that the cancellation was quickly clarified to mean non-residents only.

With the cancellation reversed, bear baiting was a go. Unfortunately for me, I wasn’t sure if I could get the time off to hunt bears. I couldn’t really make plans due to my demanding work schedule. As such, I told Kevin that I wasn’t going to setup a bait station this year. He understood and said I was more than welcome to hunt his if I got some time off. I then offered to help him setup his on a Saturday that I was likely going to be available.

Kevin and I were able to coordinate a Saturday to setup the bait station. We decided to take Ashton too to get him exposure to the process (and since the bears were still hibernating, there was no threat of him being in danger). To our surprise, there was still a bunch of snow on the ground near our site. Lucky for us, someone left the gate open to the logging road. Instead of killing ourselves by dragging all the gear through snow, we were able to drive the road, through the snow, and drop off our gear near the trail head. This was the first time we were able to drive the road and it was definitely a time saver (and likely prevented Ashton from hating he setup process). We were able to setup the bait site in record time! The only thing we had left to do was get milk shakes at Wildmans and head home.

As the bears started to wake, Kevin made many trips to the stand to check on progress. One thing that became apparent with COVID-19 is that many people had more time on their hands to hunt bears. This was the first year we had other people baiting off the same logging road. Not only that, THREE other groups setup stands along the road, and one was within a couple hundred yards of us. We are generally picky on what bears we shoot… selective shooting would be moot due to the others in the area. 

The individuals in the stand within a couple hundred yards of us shot many bears. We would hear gun shots often. We talked to them a couple times and they were even bringing in family and friends to hunt. This was extremely frustrating.

Kevin was dead set on shooting a brown bear this year. He had many on camera and patterned them out. For some reason, none of them would ever show up to the stand when he was sitting on it. They would be there immediately before and after, but never during. He never got a shot at one this year, but has a solid plan for next.

As for me, I was able to get a couple days off to sit in the stand. Fortunately, I connected with a descent six foot bear and refilled the freezer with bear meat.

The next couple years bear baiting will be interesting. Kevin will be setting up a stand in a completely different area (place to be determined) and my spot will likely be taken out from the construction of a new highway. Once the construction starts, I too will likely need to find a new spot to bait bears. 

Ashton was a trooper helping setup the stand, he didn't do much to help, but he didn't complain at all either. 

Barking orders

What a goof


This sow and three cubs emptied the bait station frequently. These cubs are going to be beautiful once they grow up. 

Mamma wasn't nice either. This was the first time I have been charged while I was sitting on the bear stand. My gun was ready... if she started coming up the ladder I would have orphaned the cubs. Thankfully it didn't come to that. Walking in the woods wasn't too fun with these guys around though. 

Cute little booger. It's funny how you can really get a feel for the personality of each cub. This was the alpha. He was the most outgoing, aggressive, and defiant. 

My 6 foot boar this year. I had Kevin there to help me cut it up. It was nice having someone there to field dress a bear for once :)


No comments:

Post a Comment