Sunday, June 1, 2014

Brown Bear Hunt... Got Me Thinking



****
Foreword

There are two types people when it comes to taking an animal’s while hunting… A hunter or a killer. A hunter is person that has the utmost respect for the animal they are hunting. A hunter abides by all restrictions, laws, and limitations set on the hunting of the animal. A hunter prides themselves on having and abiding to morals, ethics, and standards. A hunter has a Ask-questions-first, shoot-later mentality. A hunter is well prepared and plans ahead.A hunter is giver... and cares about all aspects of the hunt.

A killer is the opposite. An animal killer has little respect for the animal they are hunting. An animal killer will often twist or break restrictions, laws, or limitations surrounding the taking of an animal. An animal killer often will have low morals, ethics, and standards, or even breaks them when they do exist. An animal killer has a Shoot-first, ask-questions-later mentality. An animal killer often does not plan ahead or is ill prepared due to nearsightedness. A killer is a taker... and caring is not a priority.

Danielle and I pride ourselves on being extremely responsible hunters. I know a few people who are anchored at the other end of the spectrum. Never have I thought that I would be questioning myself on where I stand in that spectrum… but that is exactly what happened after my most recent hunt.

****

Now that Danielle harvested her black bear, it was my turn to see if I could bag a brown bear. The trail cam at my station and the neighboring station has shown multiple brown bears of different sizes and colors hitting the bait. One bear is a huge bruiser, but unfortunately he is very smart and only visits the station around 2AM... and I’m not hunting brown bears in the dark! He did however make a recent mistake and was at the bait station around 5 AM, when the sun was rising. It was now my goal to see if I could be in the right place at the right time when he makes his next mistake.

Danielle and I often say that we will not shoot something if we don’t plan on eating it. That is not the case with brown bear. I do not know a single person that eats brown bear. I have asked so many people, and even the Native Alaskan friends that I have do not know anybody that eats brown bear (I say this because Alaska Native People are very resourceful and have a tradition of utilizing everything on a harvested animal).

I planned a weekend hunt without Danielle as she had to stay home to participate in a graduation ceremony for her preschool class. I left directly from work and arrived at our parking area around 6:30PM. It was an EXTREMELY hot and sunny day (That’s about 70 degrees here… but seriously, our direct sunlight is way hotter than yours). I loaded up the cart with my hunting pack, 50lbs of dog food, and yummy smelling goodies. It was so hot on the way in, that I ended up going shirtless… the second time in a month and something that never really happens in Alaska. As I was walking in, I noticed something promising… HUGE brown bear prints on the trail. I’m talking big enough to fit my size 14 boot in!

Once I got to the bait station area, I was so hot and sweaty that I feared my stink would scare off any bears. I quickly wiped myself down and got all sprayed up with bug dope. I then had to make several trips in and out to the station to carry everything in. After setting the bait and getting everything nice and sweet smelling, I checked the trail cam. The trail cam showed multiple different bears visiting at all hours of the day with the brown bears typically showing up during the evening/night. This was exciting!

I climbed up the tree stand for the night. Over the course of the next 3 hours, I saw a few black bears and a small brown bear. I sat up there until 11:30PM at which point it was getting too dark to see anymore. I didn’t see a big brown bear, so I called it a night and headed out. On my way out, I saw many piles of fresh bear scat, but I made it back to the truck without any trouble. I set my alarm for 3AM to hunt the next day.

I woke up early the next morning after a couple hours of sleep to head back to the stand. I got there at 4:30AM, with a little daylight showing. I sat there until 11AM and saw nothing the entire time. Knowing no brown bears come out during the day, I headed back to the truck to nap and waste time until later that night.

7PM rolled around and I headed back out. Again, it was so hot that I went shirtless and I was still soaked from sweat. I knew I would smell, but I could smell something else at that point that easily overpowered my body odor… the carcass from last week. That thing was baking in the sun for about a week and the last two days were extremely hot and powerful, and as a result, that carcass smelled HORRIBLE! The weird thing about that is usually brown bears scavenge dead animals like this almost instantly; but for whatever reason, the brown bears visiting the bait station wanted nothing to do with it, which I thought was odd.  

I grabbed the 50bs of dog food and threw it over my shoulder for the first load in. On my way in, I spooked a brown bear that was in the area, but not on my bait. Bummer! I returned to the cart to grab the second load. On my way in the second time, I spooked something else that was coming in to the bait from the other direction… bummer again!

I got everything set up and ready for a night of sitting in the stand. Within 20 minutes of being up there, a small black bear came in. 20 minutes later, a different black bear appeared. 30 minutes later, a small brown bear appeared. This pattern continued to occur with black bears until about 11PM. At 11:15, a small brown bear appears to my left. He is very skittish and hesitant to approach the bait. I soon realized why. As I was watching him, a large blonde, brown bear appeared at the bait station after it crossed the creek from the back. I now had two brown bears in the area, one scared of how big the other was. The blonde bear on the bait was beautiful. It had real light, almost gold colored skin with dark brown legs. It came in like he knew he was king of the woods and didn’t care who else was in the area. The little brown bear growled and scuffed trying to make the larger one leave, but the big one just sat there without a care in the world. I knew this blonde bear was a shooter.

Unfortunately, at some point during the week, the bears got rowdy and decided to stomp and push my bait barrel around. They dented it and shoved it around the tree so it was no longer in my sight from the stand. Because of that, when bears approach the barrel, they would eat out of it in a place I could not really see. I mention this because I had to wait there for a while in order for the bear to present a shot. He actually sat down on his butt looking up, kind of like if we were to sit Indian-style on the ground. This gave me a clear shot at his chest.

It was very dark, but I could still see through the scope. I pushed the safety off my rifle, aimed squarely at his chest, and squeezed the trigger. BOOOMM. Now what happened next is important. The bear turned, grunted, and moved the other direction. He slowly dropped down into the creek, crossed it, and walked up hill on the other side of the creek. I paid close attention to where he went.

I then dropped out of the tree stand and carefully made my way back to the trail to the truck. I was not going to proceed after the bear tonight because you do not want to approach an injured/dying bear, especially in the dark. It was about midnight at this time. I got out my cell phone, called up Danielle and she didn’t answer. I had to call my neighbor who went over to our house to wake her up from the couch to get the news. I spoke with Danielle on the phone and asked her to meet me at the parking area in the morning to help me retrieve and pack out the bear. Keep in mind, it takes three hours to get to the hunting spot, and the plan was to head in at 5AM in the morning. Reluctantly, she agreed (Because she is the BEST wife ever!!!!!).

She showed up at 3AM and we got a couple hours of sleep. We then headed in (with Tundra too) at 5AM to retrieve the bear. We get there and examine the bait station. There was not a drop of blood anywhere! There wasn’t any blood where the bear was sitting, there wasn’t any blood where the bear walked, there wasn’t even any diluted blood near the creek where the bear crossed. It was the weirdest damn thing. I shoot a .338 caliber rifle, something that does more damage and hits/ kicks harder than most rifles used. This should have made a mess of the bear on impact… but apparently, the bear retained blood rather well.

We then try tracking the bear by following the path it headed. Again, no blood anywhere. After we got to a point where we were not sure where the bear went, we split up. We strategically covered a circle area of about 1 mile in diameter, walking back and forth back and forth through thick forest, alders, and creeks, scouring the woods for a dead bear. Tundra was helping as well doing his best to find whatever we were looking for. At one point, I thought that my gun may have been off site, so I recreated the shot and set up a target the same distance away. When I shot out of the tree stand, it nailed exactly where I was aiming! Well, after about 7 hours of searching, we decided that we were not going to recover the bear. Throughout those 7 hours, my heart sank lower  and throbbed harder with disbelief and disappointment that I had shot an animal that will not survive, and it won’t even be retrieved.

Danielle and I have talked about it pretty much at every hunting trip… what if, we shoot something and we don’t kill it or can’t find it? Danielle has always insisted that she will quit hunting because she does not ever want that to happen again… to which I reply… it happens to every hunter, it’s not a matter of if, it’s a matter of when. I used to naively say that thinking it would never happen to me. I used to think… I’m too good of a shot, and if a situation presents itself where I may not instantly kill the animal from my bullet, I won’t even shoot. I used to think, that situation doesn’t apply to me, every animal I have shot has been shot right through the heart. I used to think, if my .338 didn’t instantly kill the animal, it would injure it enough to eventually die without getting too far. I used to be right :(

During the drive the home from our failed recovery attempt, I was an emotional mess. If you truly know me, I’m a mamma’s boy and my mom has programmed me with very transparent feelings that care deeply for anything and everything. I’m not afraid to speak the truth, and the truth is I shed a few tears during thought. Again, I don’t enjoy killing, and to know that I likely killed something with no observable outcome, it hurt. The thing that hurt the most is that this type of hunt went against my typical reason and morals in hunting. It was a difficult hunt for me to do in the first place because I had no intent of using any of the meat that was on the brown bear. The sole purpose of the hunt was to kill a brown bear, get my picture with it, and have a rug created to show off the trophy. Granted, the brown bear hunt was allowed because predator control is very much needed in the area where moose populations are severely hurting, however, that was not on my mind when I was hunting. As I was reflecting on the outcome, I was getting angrier and angrier at myself. I was beginning to look at myself as a killer, and not a hunter. Why did I let the excitement of fellow hunters about this new hunt pressure me in to hunting a brown bear? Why would I personally shoot something that I had no intent of eating? What happened to that bear? How did I miss the vital organs on such a big target at such close range? Why did I give up so soon looking for the bear, when I could have spent the entire day Sunday trying to recover it? What was I going to tell the people I already notified that I had shot a bear the night prior? What was I going to tell people that asked how my hunt went? I tore myself apart. A hunter with morals to only shoot something they will eat would not have shot the brown bear = killer. A hunter who spent enough time at the range shooting their rifle would never miss an animal that bad = killer. A hunter should be able to properly track a wounded animal in order to retrieve it = killer. This is the first time I personally thought I was flirting with the animal killer label.

Danielle and I spoke later that day. We spoke about the intent of such a hunt. How it is necessary to properly manage predators and if predators weren’t controlled, moose would not be a resource for us. It was discussed that although I did not find the animal, the purpose of the hunt was served by eliminating a moose killer. We also discussed the inevitability of such a situation eventually happening and that it was probably better that it happened with a brown bear instead of a moose or sheep. I still wasn’t buying it.

I spoke with many of my friends about the situation. All of them had a similar situation where they have shot an animal and never got a chance to retrieve the animal. Knowing that eased my worries, but still I thought of myself better… thinking it’s unacceptable to allow it to happen when I have control over preventing it. Of the many friends I talked to, two of them had some good theories. One thought that because I was so close, the bullet only hit soft tissue and didn’t have time to expand, passing completely through without putting a large hole or hitting anything vital. The other friend (the close proximity bait station owner) put the result in perspective for me and actually changed my outlook on the hunt. He simply said, you didn’t hit the bear. I knew in the back of my mind that missing the bear was a small possibility, but it was something I didn’t want to believe either. Not hitting the bear means I would have pulled my shot soooo bad, that it was off by a foot. He justified his conclusion with many things: 1) There was no blood. I knew deep down that a bullet from this range would drop at least a spec of blood somewhere noticeable. 2) He didn’t roll. Bears shot in the upper torso will typically roll backward at the impact of a shot, especially a .338. 3) He didn’t bite at the entry wound. Bears that are shot don’t know what it is or where it came from and they will bite at the site when hit. 4) He didn’t run. A shot bear is a very scared bear. A bear that walks away grunting is more typical of one that is conceding the food to something else that has driven it off. For all these reasons, he swore up and down that I didn’t hit it, and that I have to admit that I missed it horribly. He also said that I have to return and actually take a brown bear, that the moose population is in such a horrible state that as many bears need to be taken out as possible. The thing that really hit home was when I was told that as a moose hunter that cares about the outlook and availability of moose not only for myself, but for future generations, this type of predator control hunt is necessary.

It was a tough sell, but everything he said made sense and really did point to me missing the bear altogether. By me admitting that I missed the bear, that would also mean that I could no longer pride myself on hitting everything exactly how I planned… and I could no longer call myself a good shot. Before I talked to him I was convinced my spring hunting season was over. I wasn’t going to go back and I was going to prepare for fishing season. After our conversation, I let his words sink in… and I eventually adopted them as my own. I now believe that I did miss the bear, for whatever reason (it was dark, I was nervous, it was the first shot of the season, etc.). I also now fully support his idea that as a moose hunter, resource management is also my responsibility, because if both bears and humans hunt moose without bears or humans hunting each other, than there would be no moose hunting for anyone.

The following weekend Danielle and I decided to try our luck one last time, and look for a brown bear. Little did we know, we would find proof that I actually did miss the brown bear I attempted to shoot the weekend prior. The beautiful, blonde brown bear has showed up on the trail cam multiple times, alive and unharmed :)  

The bears were actually nonexistent that weekend because a forest fire was burning nearby (check out stories about the Funny River Fire). We had smoke in the air and ash dropping on us while in the stand (even have it dropping on our house in Eagle River). This makes the bears nervous and feeding is not on the top of their priority list. We decided to pack up early that weekend and head home, putting our guns away for the spring season. It’s now time to get the fishing poles and hiking boots out!


 This is what our bait station looked like at the beginning of the season.Keep in mind that is a 55 gallon drum which is about 3 feet tall chained about 1 foot above the ground (for size reference later).

 The first black bear of the season. (I didn't include many pictures of black bears on here, but there were a ton of them). This area allows 3 black bears to be taken per person per season... that's how many black bears are available.

This is the bruiser brown bear that showed up just about every night. He was pretty consistent and didn't like the day light.

Same bruiser.

 Average sized (maybe a little on the small end) black bear for this area. Looks tin compared to the brown bear huh?

 This is the blonde bear that I shot at. GORGEOUS bear.

 Standing up and looking around. Next year I will trim that dang branch!

Another brown bear. You can see these brown bears all have different colored fur. They range from so dark it almost black (like the nighttime bruiser), to brown brown like this one, to blonde like the prior picture.

This is the first picture of the blonde bear after I shot at him on the night of May  17... he came back the next night. Seeing his picture helped ease my remaining worries. He was on camera a bunch during that week.



Typical result of the weekend hunts, oozing and peeling blisters. I finally found the ultimate blister prevention... a new boot lace tying technique and tape called Leukotape P. The combination of these two things prevents even the boniest of feet from rubbing. It also helps that I built up callouses too.

 Smoke rolling over us while in the tree stand from the near by fires. After 200,000 acres burnt, the skies finally opened up on day 11 and receded the spread. It's now day 13 and it's still burning, but more controlled now.

 The hazy and eerie color of the air and sky from the smoky air.
This is a curious little black bear I recorded on my phone. 

Here is a good clip of a black bear taking a couple bites from the carcass of Danielle's harvested bear, and then moving over to the bait area. This is a good sized black bear... but that wasn't the target that night. 

After out last day of hunting, I decided to switch the camera to video mode. These are a couple short clips of a big boar that came to the stand during the middle of the day. I'm not sure if it's the nighttime boar, but I doubt it because of the lighter patches on him.


I'm getting a different trail cam for next year! Turns out this trail cam missed a significant amount of bears that walked in front of it! I know of about 5 different bears I saw walk by the barrel, and then checked camera, only to find out it didn't take a picture! In fact, every single bear that I saw walk by the barrel was not pictured. I can only imagine how many bears were actually in the area that didn't get their picture taken.
Well we learned quite a bit from setting up a bait station for the first time this year. People think it's easy, but let me tell you... it was way harder than I imagined. People also think that hunting a bait station is easy and "cheating". Baiting allows for selective harvesting. Shooting a sow and accidentally realizing it has cubs with it will never happen at a bait station. It allows for selecting bigger boars (the ones that kill cubs and feed on moose) knowing many bears will likely find the bait. Bait stations offer a better opportunity for a well placed shot resulting in a quick harvest (although I can not claim that point due to my recent miss).  It allows for an easier introduction to hunting for friends and beginners hunting with experienced people. It also allows for more and closer observation of animal behavior... and picture taking. 

And finally, for those that still don't think baiting is right, when you use worms, a minnow, or bait while fishing, does that feel like fishing or "cheating"? When duck decoys and a call are used to lure in ducks, does that feel like hunting or "cheating"?

No comments:

Post a Comment