Monday, May 26, 2014

Black Bear Hunt



As Danielle mentioned in the last post, we decided to try our luck at baiting bears this year. Now one would think… baiting bears, that’s like fishing in a barrel! But it’s not. Bear baiting is actually a lot more work than one would expect. Probably the most difficult part about bear baiting is finding a good place to put a bait station. Well I’m a map geek and after studying multiple maps, terrain, hunting regulations, and everything else, we decided to put our faith in a spot 2.5 miles in just off an old, closed logging road (pictures in last post). We set the station up April 12th. You are allowed to set up stations after April 10th. We had plans to check and hunt the station every weekend. There was just one problem… no bears were finding it. Every weekend we went down (which was a 3 hour drive one way), we would see no change in our bait and show no bears on the motion camera. With the weather getting nicer, we were sure the bears were out, just not finding their way to our station.

The weekend of May 3-4 came around, and we were not able to hunt the station because we had to go to Iowa for a small get together. Actually, my sister got married and I performed the ceremony J Because of that, we were unable to hunt that weekend. Of course, I got word from a buddy that has a station about 40 miles away from ours, that his bait was hit for the first time that weekend. So my mind starts going crazy wondering what may have been visiting our station. As a result, I got bear fever and requested Thursday and Friday off so I could take a 4-day weekend to hunt. Luckily I have a very flexible and good boss, so that request was granted!

I spend the week packing my gear for a 4 day hunt. The plan was to go down Wednesday night and have Danielle come down and meet me after she got done with work on Friday. As it turns out, I was a little behind on things from the weekend prior, so I didn’t head out until Thursday morning. I get to the parking area around 8AM. By 9AM I am at the stand, disappointed to see that the bait barrel looks completely untouched. I checked the trail cam and my disappointment was confirmed… nothing (Of note, later in the season I find out that my game cam performs extremely bad as I physically have seen a couple bears walk in front of the camera and later check it only to see that it didn’t take a picture). With nothing on the camera, there is no real point of sticking around and waiting for a bear to come in if a pattern or viewing has not been established. I then decide I will spend the day exploring the surrounding area, and that is what I did. I hiked many miles that day looking around for another “better” potential spot in the future. I didn’t find one, but I did find many old bait station sites (I’m talking 1980s when a road back there was open for driving). I also found some good game trails that appeared to be heavily traveled in the past.  On that same trail, I saw my first bear sign, some fresh scat! This told me they were in the area, but they haven’t found my station yet.

The area I was hiking in appeared to be fairly easy hiking with good access to a mountain and valley above me. When I looked up at the mountain, I noticed dozens of white dots. It wasn’t snow, it was sheep and goat. That mountain is closed to hunting those animals there, but they were cool to see. When I was taking a break and looking at these white specs, I also noticed a black blob below them. Yep… it was a black bear. A BIG ONE too. This guy was easily within a 2 mile hike and sitting in an area that would have set me up for a simple shot, however, I chose to just watch him as I was not looking to pursue a black bear this year, I was looking for a different color… brown. We needed black bear meat for the freezer, but Danielle has not shot a black bear yet, so I decided to let it go being so early in the season.

Probably the most important thing I found that day was another active bait station. I had  hunch there was another one in the area, and that hunch became reality when I accidentally ended up walking right through it. Turns out, there are only two registered bait stations in that area, and they just so happen to be 300 yards apart! When I found that out, I was immediately upset and frustrated. We busted our butts to scout out this area last year and get everything in this far only to find out that someone came in and put up a stand that close to us after ours was already there. Great… now we will be competing for the same bears.

Instead of wasting time until Friday night waiting for Danielle, I decided to head home Thursday night, and work Friday so I could save a day vacation. Fast forward to after work…

We left immediately after work for our hunting spot. We were a little anxious when we arrived because it’s a big surprise if there is going to be anything on the trail cam or not… you hope there will be something, and there will be eventually, it’s just a matter of when. We were hoping that something showed up on the camera in the last 24 hours (but it was unlikely since nothing was on the camera from the last month).

When we arrive, we see two vehicles in the parking area before the trail to our station. We assume this is the hunters of the bait station next to ours. We then head in to our station and at the start of the trail that dives in to the thick woods toward our station, we see that someone has written on our WARNING, BEAR STATION AHEAD sign. Someone put their name and their phone number on the sign that said to call them. I could only assume it was the owners of the nearby bait station. I recorded their number in my phone to call later because service back there was horrible. Danielle and I made a plan before we went in, I would drop the pack at the ladder stand and head over to the trail cam to check if there was any action yet. She would then take what she needed up the ladder stand and wait for me to join her. As we get in to our area, I drop the pack and then begin to walk over to the trail cam. After 3 steps, I notice a black object to my left, Holy Moley it was a black bear! I have no idea how we didn’t spook it when we were arriving to the stand. I quickly back track to Danielle who hasn’t even gone up the ladder or seen it yet. I share what I saw and she is confused, but knows I wouldn’t joke about this. We then crouch right there as I tell her to find a secure rest to shoot off of. Unfortunately, the bear was in a hurry and didn’t give Danielle time to find a good shooting place. We were stuck in our spots with the bear at the bait about 20 yards away. We couldn’t move because he would see our movement and hear any steps we took. To make it worse, we hadn’t put our bug spray on, and we were getting eaten alive! Next time you’re in Alaska, try finding a swamp, squat in one spot, and don’t move for 10 minutes even when the mosquitos start to swarm and feast on you!!!

The immediate goal was to determine if the bear had cubs with it. We had to watch it for a little while to determine nothing was following it or it was not looking to protect something with it. We then decide that the size/shape of the bear paired with the solo nature of its actions meant that it was a boar. We knew then that we were going to harvest this bear. I told Danielle to get ready. At this time, there was absolutely no good place to shoot from with many bushes and brush between us and the bear. Danielle decided that she should shoot the bear by resting the rifle on the ladder of the stand, so she could shoot from a standing, rest position. We then proceeded to slowly switch spots without much noise. The little noise part didn’t work too well, but lucky for us, the bear was more interested in eating. We switched spots after the bear looked in our direction and freezing us in place multiple times. Finally, Danielle stood up to rest the gun on the ladder… CLANK! She struck the rifle barrel hard against the ladder. Metal on metal is one of nature’s most unnatural sounds and will scare anything off in a heartbeat. The bear got scared and ran 20 yards to the right and about halfway up a tree. Lucky for us, he leave. We then proceeded to wait to see if he would return. After about 10 more minutes, he decided to cautiously return. Seeing that he was thinking about coming back, Danielle picked out a spot the bear’s path would cross, and waited for him. She was now standing and had nothing to rest her gun on. As the bear walked back to the bait, he crossed Danielle’s sites…. BOOM. She drilled him exactly where she needed to. Danielle had bagged her first black bear.

I’m not a guy to hide details, as I like to share experiences. I say this because this paragraph may be disturbing for some people… Black bears when they are shot exhibit a behavior that is called the Death Call. They only Death Call after they have stopped running post impact. They have a growl/cry that the let out at a constant rate indicating their known demise. It isn’t as frightening as a dying rabbet, but similar. It is a sad thing to hear for sure. When this cry is over (which only lasted for about 15 seconds with this bear), you know that they have most likely passed on.

The bear only ran 15 yards or so away after being shot. He stopped in a good area that allowed for quick and easy cleaning. As we do with all harvested animals, Danielle took some time to thank the bear for the purpose it has served….I did the skinning and cutting while Danielle held limbs and pulled hide, as well as keeping a look out for other bears. In the middle of cleaning the bear, another large black bear appeared in the distance. He ran off after seeing us, and we were glad it wasn’t a curious brown bear. We also had another visitor check on us while we were cleaning the bear, a hunter from the other bait station. I thought the encounter was going to be awkward, but it turned out to be just the opposite. This guy was a class A gentlemen. He was almost as excited as me for Danielle dropping her first black bear. We chatted for quite some time and determined that both bait stations were facing in opposite directions, so there was no chance of shooting at each other. We also discussed each other’s plans for the season and determine that we pretty much had opposite goals and opposite hunting schedules. (This friendly exchange with the hunter turned out to be extremely beneficial for both of us, we now text and share information nonstop about bears on each other’s cameras and amount of action… seeing that we are there at different times and the status of one station is reflective of the other).

Unfortunately for us, we weren’t convinced that we were going to see a bear that night. This assumption led us to leave our means of transporting the bear hide and meat at the truck. Because of this, I got a chance to test out the capabilities of my new hunting pack by putting the entire bear in my backpack and Danielle carrying a bag of the original contents in her hands. THAT THING WAS HEAVY!!!! It took me a long time to hike the 2.5 miles back to the truck. At about a ½ mile in Danielle decided to leave me and run back to the truck to get the cart. She was fast and ended up meeting me halfway. We then pushed the bear back the rest of the way.

We got back to the truck at 11ish. Danielle joked that her hunts keep getting shorter and shorter (when she shoots something). She shot her caribou on opening day within 3 hours after sitting on a ridge, she shot her moose at 7:30AM on opening day, and she dropped her black bear after 15 minutes of arriving to the bear stand. I will put money on her “quicker streak” ending next time.

We headed home and arrived in our drive at 3AM. We quickly unpacked and went to bed. The next day we were busy with meat preparation and hide care. We ended up putting about 50 pounds of bear meat in the freezer. It took us the next couple days to get the hide completely ready to salt. Danielle fleshed the entire bear herself and learned a lot in the process. I did the face and feet… which she will eventually learn to do as well. Due to past experiences with hides at taxidermists in Alaska, we ship all of our rugs out to Ohio. The rugs are done quicker, done better, and done cheaper… can’t beat that. Her bear is in the mail to Ohio right now :)


No comments:

Post a Comment